What is a J-1 Visa Waiver?
- A J-1, or educational exchange visa, has the purpose of allowing foreign professionals to expand their education and training in the U.S.It is good for as long as the physicians are in training with a maximum of 7 years, after which they must return to their home countries.Physicians who want to remain in the U.S. after their training must apply for a visa waiver through a state Conrad 30 Program.
What is the Conrad 30 Program?
- Every state has now established protocol, known as the Conrad 30 Program.Under this program, each state may recommend up to 30 physicians to receive a waiver of the 2-year home residence requirement in exchange for a promise to work in an underserved area for 3 years.
- Allows an employer to sponsor a physician on a J-1 visa for a waiver of this 2-year home residence requirement at the conclusion of their training.
- The Michigan Health Council manages the Michigan Conrad 30 application process for the State of Michigan.
What are the waiver requirements?
- Must have a 3-year contract to work in an underserved area or qualifying practice site.Non-designated requests are also considered—those physicians who will not work in a shortage site but will serve the underserved.
- Must agree to begin employment within 90-days of receiving a waiver.
- Must work 40 hours per work week at the qualifying site(s).
- Must practice 100% of the contract in one specialty stated in contract.
- Physician must have a license or pending license to practice medicine in Michigan.
- Priority is given to primary care physicians (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and Obstetrics and Gynecology) and Psychiatrists working in a shortage site.Hospitalists and Specialists are considered who work in a shortage site.
When is the waiver application period for the Michigan Conrad 30?
- Applications are typically available for request during the 2nd quarter of each year.
- The application window for submitting completed packets is typically in the 4th quarter of each year.
- If not all 30 slots are filled during this application window, a second application window may be made available.
- Click here to learn more about the application process
How long does it take to get a Conrad 30 Waiver?
- From the time a completed application is submitted to the time a waiver is granted can take up to six (6) months.Click here to see a sample application timeline. PDF
Who can I contact for more information regarding the Michigan Conrad 30 Program?
- Call us at 800-479-1666 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.